Glen Foerd

January 22nd, 2014

Glen Foerd is the only Delaware River estate located in Philadelphia, which is open to the public. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. First built in 1850 by the Macalester family, it underwent extensive renovations and additions in 1895 by the Foerderer family, upon which the name was changed to Glen […]

Read More

Calhoun Street Toll Supported Bridge

January 22nd, 2014

Calhoun Street Toll Supported Bridge a historic bridge connecting Trenton, NJ to Morrisville, PA. The bridge was constructed by the Phoenix Bridge Company of Phoenixville in 1884.

Read More

Fort Mifflin

January 22nd, 2014

In October and November of 1777, Fort Mifflin was the site of defense by Americans against the British fleet. The British were overtaking the Delaware River to open supply lines to British-held Philadelphia. The Americans were defeated, but this battle contributed to British frustration at loss of men, supplies, and time. After the war, Pierre […]

Read More

Girard Group

January 22nd, 2014

Piers 3 and 5 North were built in 1923 and are named in honor of Stephen Girard.

Read More

Burlington Island

January 22nd, 2014

Burlington Island is a scenic and uninhabited island in the Delaware River. A noteworthy feature is the large lake-within-an-island-within-a-river. First settled In 1624, it is the site of the first European settlement in what would become New Jersey. In the late 19th and early 20th Centuries, the island was used as an amusument park.

Read More

Disston & Sons Complex

January 22nd, 2014

Disston & Sons Complex is a former saw factory, once the largest in the world. For more than 100 years, Henry Disston & Sons was America’s leading saw maker, carefully crafting its saws from raw materials to finished product. Generations of carpenters, craftsmen, and lumbermen recognized Disston saws as the best in the world. Visible […]

Read More

Frankford Arsenal

January 22nd, 2014

The Frankford Arsenal is the site of an United States Army ammunition plant in Northeast Philadelphia. Started in 1816, it was the center of U.S. military small-arms ammunition design and development until its closure in 1977. Of the many products manufactured at the arsenal, fire-control and range-finding instruments are the most notable. The Arsenal reached […]

Read More

Red Bank Battlefield

January 22nd, 2014

Once the location of Fort Mercer, Red Bank Battlefield is the site where Americans defeated British forces at the Battle of the Red Bank in October 1777. The American success delayed the opening of the Delaware River as a supply line to British-held Philadelphia.

Read More

Headhouse Square Historic District

January 22nd, 2014

The historic district is in the Society Hill

Read More

Borough of Riverton

January 22nd, 2014

Riverton was the first entirely planned residential subdivision in America, laid out in 1851 by Philadelphia architect Samuel Sloan.

Read More