Fairmount Water Works

January 22nd, 2014

Philadelphia was first to supply an entire city with drinking water, provided by the Fairmount Water Works. Today the site features beautiful landscaping and the Water Works Interpretive Center.

Read More

Society Hill Historic District

January 22nd, 2014

The Society Hill historic district is a neighborhood containing the largest concentration of original 18th- and early 19th-century residential architecture in the United States.

Read More

New York Shipbuilding

January 22nd, 2014

The New York Shipbuilding company was founded in 1899 and opened its first shipyard in 1900 in Camden, New Jersey. The ship yard made vessels for U.S. Navy, the United States Merchant Marine, and the United States Coast Guard. During World War I, the rapid expansion led to the construction of Yorkship Village, a planned community of 1000 brick homes, […]

Read More

St. John’s Church

January 22nd, 2014

Built in 1815, St. John’s is one of William Strickland’s oldest surviving designs. St. John’s is the fifth oldest surviving church in Philadelphia.

Read More

Delaware Power Station

January 22nd, 2014

Delaware Power Station was built by the Philadelphia Electric Company in 1920 to avert a predicted power shortage. It labored steadily from then on, with an expansion in 1954, until closing in 2004. It was designed by Philadelphia architects John T. Windrim and W.C.L. Eglin. Windrim was a prominent Philadelphia architect in the late 19th […]

Read More

Bartram’s Garden

January 22nd, 2014

Bartram’s Garden is the pastoral 18th century homestead of John Bartram, a Quaker farmer. With views of Center City Philadelphia, the garden features meadows, wetlands, a river trail, archeological artifacts, and farm buildings.

Read More

Chester Courthouse

January 22nd, 2014

The Chester Courthouse, built in 1724, was once the oldest active court in use in the United States, operating until 1967.

Read More

Hog Island

January 22nd, 2014

American International Shipbuilding built a shipyard at Hog Island in 1917. At the time Hog Island was the largest shipyard in the world with 50 slipways.The land is now occupied by the Philadelphia International Airport.

Read More

Arch Street Meetinghouse

January 22nd, 2014

The land was donated by William Penn in 1693 as a burial ground for members of the Religious Society of Friends, or Quakers. The meetinghouse was designed by Own Biddle and built between 1803 and 1805 atop the graveyard.

Read More

Independence National Park

January 22nd, 2014

Independence Hall, formerly called the Pennsylvania State House, is where the Declaration of Independence was adopted and US Constitution was drafted. It features George Washington’s original “rising sun” chair used as he presided over the Constitutional Convention. Independence Hall is owned and operated by the National Park Service and designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site. […]

Read More