A jewel of the Tidal Delaware is up for redevelopment. The Philadelphia Inquirer reported on Wednesday that Exelon Generation Co. LLC is going to sell Delaware Station, the former Philadelphia Electric Co. power plant on 16.4 acres next door to Penn Treaty Park on the river. The package, split in two lots, includes almost 6 acres underwater, the hulking 223,000 sq. ft. plant on 5 acres, a 4-acre leased surface parking lot that can be shut on six months notice, and a 1-acre back-up Exelon generator bank that’s slated to stay running until 2030. Learn more at www.delawarestation.com.
The Delaware River Waterfront Corporation writes this about the building’s history:
“Designed in 1917 by John T. Windram (who also designed the Franklin Institute and the former Family Court building and was the son of Academy of Natural Science architect James H. Windrim) and W.C.L. Elgin, and opened in 1920 as a coal-fired power plant, the Delaware Generating Station operated until 2004. Now owned by Exelon Generation, a small part of the plant is used only intermittently. The building is also notable as one of the shooting locations for the film “12 Monkeys.” Also notable is that the building stands where the Neafie & Levy Shipyard was once located. In November of 1861, the Union government placed an order at the shipyard for “one iron submarine” which was christened the Alligator. This submarine was the first submarine of the Civil War and was put into service to destroy the Confederate ironclad, Merrimack.”
Depending who buys the building and redevelops it, there could be some interesting new attractions right on the Tidal Delaware Waterfront!